Monday, March 15, 2010

Don't let the door hit you....

In my ten+ years working on the front lines of the health care system, I've been called every name in the book. Idiot, bitch, asshole, racist (that's for a later post), dumb ass....the list goes on and on.

The first time I was called an idiot, I remember how hurt I was. Why does this person think I'm an idiot? I'm not an idiot! I really took it personally. Now, when the names fly, I just let it roll off my back. I've become numb to people projecting their frustration onto me.

Most of the time, when I'm called these names, the doctors I work do not witness it. Usually it's on the phone - much easier to berate a person when you're not standing there face-to-face. This, however, was an exception.

We recently had a patient who was upset with the wait time. We had an emergency with another patient arise and it was taking a little more of the doctor's time. I explained that to the patient when she checked in for her appointment. She sighed and then plopped down in a chair with the latest issue of People.

Twenty minutes later, the nurse calls her back for her appointment. The doctor comes in no more than 5 minutes later. Halfway through the exam, while he's going over her current medication regimen, he receives a call from the hospital (on his work cellphone) about the patient with whom he was previously tied up. He explains to his current patient what the call is and excuses himself from the exam room.

60 seconds later, this patient comes storming out of the exam room and starts to SCREAM at me in front of another patient. The names started flying. I'll abbreviate her rant for you:

I'm an idiot who doesn't know what the hell I'm doing because I schedule his fucking patients when he's busy and she's not putting up with this shit and she's finding a new doctor because she doesn't want to deal with the dumb bitches here in the office that schedule appointment.

I'm the only one who schedules for this doctor so that makes me not only an idiot, but a dumb bitch, too. Score!

I start to open my mouth to explain what the problem with the doctor was, but I had a rough weekend so all I could muster was a shoulder shrug and: "'kay."

She started in on me again telling me I didn't care about the patients and calling me a few more names.

The doctor hears this commotion, finishes his phone call and emerges from his office to see what the hubbub is all about. He comes out to see this patient ripping me a new asshole.

Now, let me give you some background on this doctor: he is about 5 feet tall, Asian and very soft spoken. He is the epitome of calm and I have never heard him raise his voice.

Doc goes over to the patient, gently puts his hand on her shoulder and asks her to come with him. The go into the nearest exam room and close the door. Next thing I know, the patient comes out of the room in, looks at me and says, in a very quiet voice: "I apologize for my behavior." She walks out of the office with her tail between her legs.

Doc instructs me to copy her records and mail them to her. If she calls, I am not to schedule her for an appointment. She is no longer welcome in this office. He tells me that he will not tolerate anyone treating his staff in that manner. If anyone talks to me like that again, I am to notify him immediately so he can address the issue with the patient directly.

While I may never know what he said to this patient, it was nice to have someone in my corner for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment